image source: pixabay
When it comes to the security of your home and the safety of those you love, you shouldn’t take any chances. That’s why you may be hesitant to try do-it-yourself home security solutions that are available on the market.
DIY home security projects can go horribly wrong if you don’t know what you’re doing. But if you’re a fast learner and can pay painstaking attention to details, these projects may be right for you.
How We Chose Our Ratings
The DIY home security systems below were selected on the basis of being easy to set up and providing maximum security for your home.
Affordability was also considered.
6 DIY Security Products To Turn Your Home Into A True Haven
Here are a number of reliable and safe options to consider if you’re currently looking to install DIY security systems in your abode.
1. The Fortress S03-B Security Alarm System
- Do-It-Yourself Security with 24/7 Optional Monitoring, this system is complete with wireless sensors and sirens with built in landline auto dialer that are fully programmed to ensure a easy instaliton
- Wi-Fi Security system Fully Controlled by Free iOS/Android App, Voice Control by Amazon Alexa
- Wi-Fi camera compatibility which can be viewed in real time through the Total Security application including 2-way chat, 360 degree view, and 720p High-Definition. Quickly and easily access a real time view of your house in the instance you receive a alarm notification
- Mic for remote monitoring and two way communication; you have the ability to communicate with others while on the go through the main panel.
- Ready-To-Arm feature ensures that your home is completely secure before the system will arm. The Total Security main panel can notify you via SMS texts when the system is armed, disarmed or armed in home mode making you aware when monitoring has been changed.Control your system remotely with a FREE smartphone application for both Android and IOS devices including arming and disarming appliances with optional outlet add on
This security alarm system is designed to meet the needs of anyone looking to protect their home or business with a DIY security kit. The kit comes equipped with everything you’ll need to protect your doors and windows from potential break-ins.
Some of the important items you’ll find inside the box include the main control panel that has the auto-dialer feature, three passive motion detectors, three key fobs and eight door/window contact points.
Thanks to the auto-dialer feature, you’ll know if your alarm has been breached. Auto dialer alarm systems are pre-programmed to call a designated number when they detect that an intruder is in your home. This way, you can take appropriate action immediately.
However, it is the passive motion sensors that make this alarm system tick. These magnetic sensors are designed to detect any suspicious movement within or around your house and let you know when there is a security threat via the auto-dialer function.
Suspect that someone might have already broken into your abode? Don’t sweat it! Just press the panic button and the panic alarm will immediately go off. When it comes to activating and disarming your alarm system, you can use one of the three included key fobs.
The supplied door/window contacts ensure you can secure up to eight doors/windows in your home, so this DIY security alarm kit is ideal if you need to burglar-proof a maximum of eight doors/windows.
Installing and setting up this security alarm system is a delightful job for DIY enthusiasts. As this alarm has a sound level rating of 140 decibels when it goes off, it is loud enough to warn you, your family members and close neighbors about unwelcome entry into your home. For increased alarm volume outside your home, this alarm system includes an extra outdoor siren.
2. Ring Video Doorbell That Works With Alexa
With this HD video doorbell, you can see who’s knocking at your door, and find out what they want using a smartphone, tablet or PC via a Wi-Fi connection. It is easy to install and set up, so it is suitable for your DIY security system installation project.
This doorbell is Alexa-compatible, meaning you can use your voice to initiate real-time video. When someone arrives at your door, you will get an alert on your computer device. To see, hear and speak to them, you simply have to give Alexa voice commands.
This video doorbell will send you an alert when it detects motion at your door. Hence, you can know someone is at your door before they even press the doorbell.
The best part is that it can be connected to existing doorbell wiring for continuous power supply or powered by a rechargeable built-in battery. Hence, you don’t have to worry about having or not having existing doorbell wiring in your home.
Ring video doorbells feature infrared night vision, so you will get clear images of your visitors during the nighttime. You can set up the system to activate the siren when someone breaches your home security.
For fully customizable security, you can add extra motion sensors or adjust the sensitivity of existing sensors to match the needs of your home.
With Live View on-demand video, you can monitor activities at your door or around your house from your device even when you’re away from home. This feature delivers great convenience, as well as peace of mind knowing that you can check-in on your property any time you want.
The starting price of this basic video doorbell is $$$ Ring video doorbell models that offer extra features cost more.
3. Blink Indoor Home Security Camera System
- MOTION DETECTOR: Built-in motion sensor alarm, when motion detector is triggered, WIFI cameras send an alert to your smartphone and record a short clip of the event to the cloud
- BATTERY POWERED SECURITY SYSTEM: Wireless home camera with 2-year battery life, powered by 2 Lithium AA 1.5v non-rechargeable Lithium batteries (included), data is sent from IP cameras over Wi-Fi
- SMART HOME SECURITY: Simple self-install home monitoring in minutes; easy control wireless cameras with the included iOS & Android apps or via voice through our Amazon Alexa Skill!
- ADVANCED HOME SURVEILLANCE: Home and pet monitoring in real time with video camera “Live View” streaming mode
- FREE CLOUD STORAGE: Totally wire-free, with no monthly fees or service contract required. (Requires iOS 10.3 or Android 5 Lollipop or higher)
Are you looking for advanced home surveillance cameras for your dwelling? If you’re keen on monitoring what happens in your home when you’re not around, Blink indoor home security cameras may be just what you need.
Blink’s feature-laden security camera system includes an HD res camera that delivers HD video, so you can be sure that the images on your device’s screen will be decently sharp and clear. It also incorporates a built-in motion sensor that records any suspicious motion detected.
The standard Blink system comprises only one camera, but there are systems that can accommodate up to ten cameras. This security camera system works with Alexa, so you can easily control it using your voice. Therefore, you don’t have lift a finger when you need to operate your Blink system.
The 2 AA lithium batteries that this home security camera system runs on can last up to two years, thanks to the proprietary chip technology available exclusively in Blink cameras.
The price of Blink HD security cameras starts from $$$ but goes up with extra features such as weather-proofing included. It also offers free cloud storage and doesn’t come with a monthly price tag. On-demand video streaming in HD is possible through the Blink app when you enable Live View mode.
With that being said, this Blink system is an ideal choice if you’re looking for a reliable, safe and cost-effective home security solution over the long term.
4. Zmodo Wireless Security Camera System
- 【Security-focused Hardware】Zmodo outdoor wifi camera is metal-made to resist extreme harsh weather, thus has a longer life. Enhanced antennas provide you with a stronger signal and wider Wi-Fi connection.
- 【True 1080p HD Live Video Day and Night】Watch your home in true 1080p Full HD day and night, and see up to 65ft away in the dark. Videos can be viewed anywhere anytime from iOS or Android mobile devices and tablets, or web view on PCs.
- 【Smarter Motion Detection】Be notified with a key image of an event when the security cameras detects an movement, so that you can take a sneak peak of what happened immediately. Tap into the app to check the motion video clips for more details.
- 【Hands-free Voice Control】This home security camera system works with Alexa and Google Assistant. Go hands-free with Alexa by saying, "Alexa, show me the front door" to view a live stream from your camera.
- 【30-day Free Trial of Zmodo Cloud Service】Enjoy a 30-day free trial of Zmodo 7-day cloud recording plan. With the plan, you can review, save, and share footage at any time, and reduce false alerts with cloud intelligence.
The HD video that these cameras deliver ensure you get a clear view of your children, pets, visitors or whoever you want to keep an eye on.
Images don’t get blurry at night, thanks to the night vision feature that delivers a long viewing distance of up to 65 feet. You’ll always stay on top of matters regarding security in your home with the timely mobile alerts (with video clips) that you’ll receive on your phone, tablet or PC as soon as motion is detected.
To minimize false alerts, you can customize motion detection to suit your particular situation. For example, you can set your outdoor security cameras to focus on the specific corners or areas of your home that you want to closely watch over.
Zmodo wireless outdoor cameras are compatible with Alexa, giving you voice control over your security system. Just tell Alexa that you need to see who’s at your front door and she will allow you access to a video of the same.
If you want security cameras that are suitable for both indoor and outdoor use, Zmodo offers a wide range of wireless security cameras that may be just the thing for your home. These security cameras from Zmodo are designed to withstand rain or other inclement weather elements.
The cameras are easy to install, set up and use – you simply need to connect the cameras to your Wi-Fi network and launch the free Zmodo App on your smartphone or any other computer device. With Zmodo cloud service, you can save and share your data safe at all times, thanks to the cloud service’s bank-level AES 256-bit encryption.
Zmodo’s online store has an extensive range of indoor and outdoor security cameras available to you.
5. Amazon Cloud Cam Security Camera, Works With Alexa
- Stay connected 24/7 - Catch activities as they happen in 1080p Full HD. Watch, download, and share the last 24 hours of motion alert video clips for free.
- Notifications – Get notified when Cloud Cam sees activity. Check in anytime or watch motion clips on the Cloud Cam mobile app.
- See clearly in the dark - Night vision lets you detect what’s happening around the clock. Turn on/off night vision LEDs in the Cloud Cam App.
- Two-way audio - Check in with the family or tell your dog to stop barking.
- 30-day free trial of Cloud Cam Plans – Get Smart Alerts and advanced features like person and audio detection, Zones, and see up to 30 days of video history.
If you’re looking to monitor activities in your home 24/7 in Full HD and as they happen, Amazon Cloud Cam may be the right option for you.
Cloud Cam’s always-ready motion detection coupled with computer vision algorithms help detect any activity that may pose security threats to you and your loved ones. Its live video streams ensure you see what’s happening in your abode in real-time so you can take immediate action.
You can personalize notifications so you only get motion alert clips that really matter to you. The camera’s two-way audio system allows you to say hello to the kids or talk to your pet dog through Amazon’s Cloud Cam App available on Google’s Play Store and Apple’s App Store. You can even watch, replay, download or share motion alert clips created within the last 24 hours for free.
Cloud Cam’s functionality isn’t compromised during the nighttime. This camera comes armed with eight infrared LEDs whose functionality is optimized by computer vision algorithms that automatically activate night vision when it gets dark.
This camera is pretty easy to set up with the mounting kit included in the box. As it can be rotated 180 degrees in Live View mode when mounted, the camera is also pretty easy to operate.
If you love voice control, you’ll be delighted to know that this camera works with Alexa. Just ask Alexa for the live feed and she will show it on your Alexa-compatible computer device.
6. Arlo Pro 2 Home Security Camera System
- 100 percent wire free: Free of power cords and wiring hassles
- 1080p HD high quality video with sharper and brighter details
- Flexible powering options use wire free, plugged in. Rechargeable battery
- Weatherproof Pro cameras are weatherproof so you can place them anywhere indoors and out
- 7 days of free cloud recordings pro comes with recurring 7 days free cloud recordings. Live stream or view recorded video and audio for up to 7 days
This full HD video camera system by NETGEAR is designed to ensure the images you see on the screen of your smartphone or other mobile computing device are clear, sharp and crisp. When low light conditions set in, the night vision function automatically becomes enabled, so you can get clear video quality.
Arlo Pro cameras are designed to resist weather damage, a quality that makes them ideal for both indoor and outdoor use. They provide timely alerts when they detect suspicious movement so you can immediately take appropriate steps.
If you need extra intelligence for your Arlo cameras, you can incorporate Arlo Smart into the cameras.
With this proprietary technology, you can customize how and when you get notifications on security breaches. This way, you will be able to only get motion alerts that matter the most to you. For example, you can customize alerts to detect human movement and reduce false notifications from normal movements, such as the motion of tree branches due to the wind.
You can also use the Arlo app to identify specific areas or zones within your camera’s viewing range that would like to get motion alerts from. Your camera won’t pay attention to movement outside of these areas so you only get the alerts that really matter to you.
Alerts from Arlo Pro cameras don’t just inform you about suspicious movement in your home – they show you exactly what’s happening because they include images of what caused the movement.
To watch a live feed from your camera, you simply need to tap on the notifications you get on your smartphone or other mobile computing device connected to the camera system.
Arlo Pro 2 cameras work with Alexa, so you can control your security cameras with your voice. The integrated two-way audio lets you talk to people and hear what they say through the camera.
When it comes to home security systems, no single product or solution best suits the needs of every homeowner.
What works for you might not necessarily work for your neighbor or other homeowners in your area.
Having said that, it is crucial for you to carefully assess the specific needs of your home before investing in any security product or system.
It is also important to look for something that falls within your budget, as security systems that you can’t afford won’t be useful to you if you can’t afford them.
Ultimately, the best security product or system for you is the one that meets both your needs and budget.
Beef Up Your Home Security With High-Tech Security Systems
The above-reviewed home security products are reliable, safe, affordable and also easy to install and set up.
Remember, the effectiveness of home security systems is only as good as the quality of installation, so be sure to choose a system you can install comfortably.
Hopefully, you should be able to find something that is appropriate for you and your home included in this review.
Last update on 2021-09-20 at 18:58 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API